Sahyadri College was established in the year 1940 by Highness King Jayachamarajendra Wodeyar, then Maharaja of Mysore, as an intermediate college, later on, in the year 1984 it was bifurcated as Sahyadri Science College and Sahyadri Arts College. In the year 1988-89 the Commerce department was established. In the year 1992 these two constituent colleges came under the administration of Kuvempu University.
In the academic year 2018-19 by the approval of U.G.C. Sahyadri Commerce and Management College under Kuvempu University was established. The Commerce College is imparting knowledge to UG, PG, BBA & BBA(T&T) Students and also to the research scholars. The college has its own library in Science college library building. The library has more than 14,300 reference books written by well known authors, which are very useful for students, faculties and Research Scholars. It is well furnished so that the students can sit and study for long duration. The students are basified UGC Book Service many daily newspapers, weekly magazines, Competitive successes and journals related to commerce and management. By reading these newspapers and journals the students can enhance their knowledge in current affairs and it helps them to take competitive exams like IAS, KAS, Banking, FDA/SDA etc., and also get information about job opportunities. There is a facility to borrow books by using their library cards which help them to prepare notes for further studies. In future many facilities like internet, Xerox, e-book and e-journals will be provided to the students. Thus library is playing a vital role, in the development of students by providing reference books. It also acts as a treasure house of knowledge in our college.